- 6 Feb
Severe Weather Preparedness Week, Feb. 2-6, is a dedicated time when all Georgians are encouraged to prepare for unexpected events, practice emergency response procedures for all types of weather and learn more about local threats. Each day focuses on a different preparedness topic:
- Monday, Feb. 2 – Family Preparedness/NOAA Weather Radio Day – Purchase a life-saving NOAA Weather Radio and choose an out-of-state friend as a “check-in” contact to call if your family gets separated.
- Tuesday, Feb. 3 – Thunderstorm Safety – Learn the difference between a thunderstorm watch and a thunderstorm warning.
- Wednesday, Feb. 4 – Tornado Safety (and PrepareAthon! drill for tornado safety) – Determine in advance where you will take shelter in case of a tornado warning.
- Thursday, Feb. 5 – Lightning Safety – Learn the 30/30 rule. Go indoors if, after seeing lightning, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.
- Friday, Feb. 6 – Flood Safety (alternate date for PrepareAthon! drill for tornado safety) – Copy important documents, seal them in a watertight container and add them to your Ready kit.